Monday, July 20, 2009

Week 34 (July 13-17), a Trucker Twin, and dubbing the Greenspeed

Summary:

Monday - no commute (vacation)
Tuesday - Car & LRT (AM Carpool)
Wednesday - Bicycle
Thursday - Bicycle
Friday - Bicycle

Cool weather prevailed last week, though a chance of showers on Tuesday scared me enough not to ride. It didn't rain, I felt like a fool, and now consider that it is perhaps time to buy a rain cape. This will enable me to make commuting decisions irrespective of the precipitation forecast, though I'll be surely be inviting the obligatory mockery and copious Russ Campbell comparisons from my wife.

Trucker Twin
On Wednesday I parked a block from my normal spot which brought me into contact with a nearly identical Long Haul Trucker. It wasn't there when I locked up in the morning, but in the afternoon I paused for a double take, delighted by the mirror image on an adjacent rack. It had the same Axiom rack that I used to have, and the owner even used a multiple lock method to thwart would-be bike thieves. It had better upgrades on the saddle (Brooks) and pedals, but otherwise it was the same. I only saw it once more that week on Thursday morning, so maybe he was blessed with an abbreviated work week.

Greenspeed
My parents visited this weekend, and with my dad's help I securely bolted my rear wheel onto the Sears 5 speed frame. I removed the derailleur months ago and make use of only one gear on the five speed cassette. I'm taking a wheel building class at Hiawatha Cyclery this Saturday, so Lord willing, I'll have a legitimate single speed cog installed soon. With those plans in place, the bike shall henceforth be known as "the Greenspeed." I think a formal christening ceremony is required, and perhaps our house guest this weekend would enjoy taking part smashing my CPA champagne over the stem of the bike.

The Greenspeed did survive an estimated 10 mile ride with my parents and Pati to the Guthrie, over the Stone Arch Bridge, through the edge of the U campus and back home via the Seward neighborhood. The Greenspeed performed well enough to earn commuting duties this week, so hopefully all goes well.

1 comment:

Ivy said...

I am greatly anticipating the Greenspeed naming ceremony. I will practice my Queen Elizabeth wave all the way up I-35, to make sure I do justice to such an auspicious occasion.