Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pays for itself in the money it saves...

What am I talking about here, the Dial-a-matic Food Slicer? The Slap-Chop?

Nope, the NiceRideMN bikeshare program.

I purchased an annual membership for $60 in May, and it has already yielded some dividends. Yesterday serves as a perfect example. It was an ideal day for biking, but I had to be in Plymouth for a morning meeting. I never know where to park in situations like this, because I rarely drive myself to work if I'm downtown and loath paying for parking.

But the beauty of the bikeshare is that it expands the your free parking radius. I parked meters away from a NiceRide station, grabbed a bike, and pedaled my way out of paying $4-8 for parking. There's a station a block from the office so I don't even have to walk very far from there. Plus, the rack's even leave room for my papers (my business papers) and my lunch:



So listen up, my fellow downtown denizens, this could be yours for only three easy payments of $19.99...

2 comments:

Ivy said...

If only this post had begun with, "Hi, it's Vince from Slap-Chop..." :) Good to see that the BikeShare program is being used as it was designed - any ideas on usage stats yet? How long has it been in operation?

James said...

They just hit the 50,000 ride mark on August 23, a little over a month and a half since it kicked off on June 10.

http://www.niceridemn.org/news/2010/08/24/19/nice_ride_reaches_50000_ride_milestone

I'm not sure how that meshes up against internal ridership goal sthough.