Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cycle Count

As 2011 came to a close, I did what most accountants do before ringing in the new year: take stock of my (bicycle) inventory.

Perhaps it's surprising that I had 11 bicycles in my possession on December 31, 2011.

Yes, eleven.

But I assure you there are perfectly good reasons for me to hoard bicycles like the proverbial cat lady. If I were clever, I would rattle off 22 lines about 11 bicycles a la The Nails, but alas I am not:

#1 - Giant TCR: Every cyclist needs a good road bike.

#2 - Surly Long Haul Trucker: Cycling isn't all fun and games. I still need a commuter bike and a grocery getter to take care of business.

#3 - Pati's bike: Only makes sense that a cyclist's wife would have one, too.

#4 - Raleigh SC-30: For year-round cycling, a beater bike is a must to soak up the punishment of Minnesota winters.

#5 - Sears bike (Greenspeed): A fixed-gear conversion with drop bars just waiting to be flopped and chopped. How can any self-respecting Minneapolis cyclist NOT have a fixie?

#6 - Dunelt 3-Speed: The perfect bike for a Sunday ride with Pati.

#7 - Raleigh Superbe 3-Speed: Um....It's always good to have a spare 3-speed?

#8 - Raleigh Sports 3-Speed: There's got to be a legitimate reason to have three 3-speeds...Hmm...Wait, I've got it! This one is a women's bike, so I'm just avoiding gender bias here. That's valid, right?

#9 - Diamond Back MTB: So...Just like I need a spare 3-speed, I also need a spare winter beater bike.

#10 - Raleigh Hybrid: A third-string winter bike. This is no different than NFL teams that carry three quarterbacks on their roster. You really never know what could happen and it's important to be prepared.

#11 - Diamond Back Hybrid: This one is earmarked for a friend. Seriously.

Now that I've thought about it, is 11 really enough?

No comments: