Friday, February 13, 2009

Week 12 (February 9-14)

Monday - Car (single occupant)
Tuesday - Car (single occupant)
Wednesday - Car (single occupant)
Thursday - Car (single occupant)
Friday - Car & Bicycle

After four depressing days of being a regular working stiff driving himself to work, a glimmer of hope shone through today. Four late nights of work coupled with what would be a longer commute (4 miles into downtown vs. a 10 mile ride across town) kept me from entertaining any thoughts of commuting to work. Plus my connection for a morning shower fell through. By Thursday, my head was throbbing from a constant surge of adrenaline, and I decided that nothing would remedy the situation like biking home from work. I proposed a plan to my wife, she consented, and Friday was glorious. Here's what happened:

Alarm goes off, 6:30 sharp.

I'm exhausted, but I remember:

A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.

Guess I won't hit the snooze button today.

Pati and I threw my laptop in the car, mounted the rack and the bike, and off we drove to our old stomping grounds for a Friday morning coffee date, close to the client site. (They're usually on Saturday, but since friends are in town this weekend we thought we'd mix it up). The coffee and muffin were decent, but the company was fantastic.

My morning coffee buzz kept me going strong through early afternoon, and the rest of the day was a blur, but a good kind of blur. A few hours before quitting time, I asked our client contact if they had a larger bathroom that I could change in for the ride home. His reply almost made me weep for joy: their conference room has a kitchenette and shower attached to it.

I don't need to know, don't care why in the world this company has a shower in their conference room. All that matters is that it is at my disposal for the next week.

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning. (And sometimes in the afternoon)

No comments: