Sunday, March 22, 2009

Week 17 (March 16 - 21)

Monday - Car (single occupant)
Tuesday - Car (single occupant)
Wednesday - Car & Bicycle (AM Carpool)
Thursday - Car (single occupant)
Friday - Car (single occupant)
Saturday - Bicycle

I discovered this week that the aforementioned 5 speed is actually a 6 speed, and despite my attempts at preparing it for transit service, it remains in the basement on a bike stand. The replacement derailleur turned out to be bent, and when I purchased another one I realized I didn't have the right tools for the job. I'm still trying to get it up and running, but I have no idea how long it might take before it's operational.

Monday was easily the best weather day we've experienced in 2009, and it was a shame it occurred on the first day of fieldwork at a new client site. I had to bring some external binders and workpapers which wouldn't have been fun to drag along on a bike.

Tuesday would have been a decent day to ride but I didn't have a bike ready to go. Obviously the 6 speed was hamstrung, and the Raleigh mountain bike I've been riding all winter has a rusted chain that could snap at any minute. I figured it would succumb to Murphy's Law on my inbound commute Tuesday morning, so I held off. My other bike (Long-Haul Trucker) had a flat that I didn't get around to fixing until Saturday, so that was a no-go too.

I realized mid-week that I was in danger of recording zero bicycle commutes, but Pati graciously drove me to the client site on her way to work so I could ride home on the Raleigh. I cringed at every squeak and squawk of the chain, but thankfully, it stayed intact, and even endured a round trip commute to the office on Saturday.

Two final notes:
1. After the abuse that the Raleigh has endured this winter it's time to throw it onto the stand and give it a good scrubbing. I've also decided that due to its meritorious service these past months, it would be appropriate to reward it with a fitting moniker, and perhaps even a christening service of some kind. I'm hoping for some reader suggestions and input, so stay tuned for future posts.

2. Bike Walk Week is fast approaching and I'm mulling over the idea of getting a team together at work. Perhaps we could have a whole slew of Cycling Public Accountants rolling into the office on Thursday, May 14 for Twin Cities Bike/Walk to Work Day.

2 comments:

Ivy said...

A whole slew of Cycling Public Accountants - what a glorious thought. :) My suggestion for a bike name - The Drifter.

James said...

Seems as though that would be a fitting name for the Long-Haul Trucker.