Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week 15 (March 2 - March 7)

The streak continues:

Monday - Bicycle
Tuesday - Bicycle
Wednesday - Car (AM & PM Carpool)
Thurdsday - Car & LRT (AM Carpool)
Friday - Bicycle
Saturday - Bicycle

This week was a great rebound from the prior, and it got me excited about the transition to spring. Hopefully this will lead to a much higher percentage of bicycle commutes than the past few months have allowed for.

Friday's temperatures warmed up enough that I was able to shed a layer of clothing, and still ride home comfortably, which got me thinking about cycling duds. I really don't enjoy sporting the urban ninja look (balaclava, bright yellow cycling jacket, wind pants, etc), but at this point I'm not sure how else to stay warm, dry, and safe on my winter commute.

My plan for spring/summer/fall is to tune-up my 5-speed and use it as my primary commuter bike, with the hope of riding in my normal accountant costume instead of being forced to bring a change of clothes. I think the 5-speed has enough range for me to ride comfortably and step from the bicycle to the office without giving rise to an unkempt look. They do it all the time in Copenhagen and Amsterdam, right?

In other news, I was excited to see the first comment come through on this blog (thanks Jenna!), and it got me wondering how I might be able to stimulate some discussion. None of my bikes have proper names, so perhaps I could post pics and have a call for suggestions...

2 comments:

Ivy said...

However, if you eschew the urban ninja look, you'll no longer be able to switch seamlessly from bicycle commuter to street mime to B&E man. Think twice before you give that up. :)

Anonymous said...

guess i need to start commenting so i can get a "shout out" too!

james, seriously, you write like you talk and i love it! :-) hope all is well, and keep those posts coming!