Monday, August 24, 2009

Week 39 (August 17-21) and a grocery run

Summary:

Week 39
Monday - Bicycle
Tuesday - Bicycle
Wednesday - Car (AM & PM Carpool)
Thursday - Bicycle
Friday - Car & LRT (AM Carpool)

I started off the week on the Greenspeed, but the Drifter was called to duty on Tuesday and Thursday. I've spent so much time on the Greenspeed lately that I'd forgotten how much I love this bike. The only real drawback is that I feel somewhat strange dressing like an accountant when I ride, so I usually end up changing at work. But the slight inconvenience was well worth it this week.

It even got some extra miles this weekend on a couple of grocery runs: one to Trader Joe's in St. Louis Park and the other to the Rainbow in our neighborhood. We're only a mile or from Rainbow so I decided to push the envelope and see how much I could get on the Drifter. I'll let the picture and a receipt highlights speak for themselves:



Highlights include:
Lunch meat
A gallon of milk
Fresh fruit & veggies
Five 12 packs of coke products

I honestly wasn't sure it was going to work out, but I figured I'd grab the bungee cords and give it a shot. No cans were injured during the trip from the store, and I think Pati was happy that I took a chance:

6 comments:

Emily said...

That is seriously impressive! Reminds me of junior high when my dad would strap my trombone and an XL Godfather's pizza on his motorcycle. I had the coolest rides home from volleyball practice.....

Eli said...

This is an amazing feat! Good work! In college, I commuted 6 miles each way to and from campus (on a mountain bike, mind you). I mastered the art of pedaling 2 gallons of milk home on the handlebars. My favorite ride, however, involved a watermelon...

James said...

Em - Dale Mills is still my hero.

Liz - Balancing two gallons of milk on the handlebars is accomplishment enough, but a watermelon pretty much makes you a champ.

Anonymous said...

You guys are nuts!! LBCOT, as Dad would say, especially when bungee-ing trombones, 12 packs of soda, or watermelons! :O)

James said...

LBCOT?

What do I have to do to get Eva to chime in and have all of the Mills sisters commenting on one thread?

Emily said...

LBCOT: (official argot of the Mills clan) "Let's Be Careful Out There," Dad's favorite quote from the old cop show Hill Street Blues. He'll sing you the theme song, if you ask.