Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Weeks 72 - 73 and Hypermiling

Summary
Week 72 (April 5 - 9)
Monday - Friday: Car

Week 73 (April 12 - 16)
Monday - Thursday: Car
Friday - Bicycle

I thought I was going to coast through April, but these past few weeks have been more hectic than anticipated. Without last Friday's bike commute, I probably would have lost it.

How else have I managed to remain sane since my business season has been extended by a month or so? Hypermiling.

(In case you're wondering what in the world hypermiling is, it's an attempt to squeeze as much efficiency out of every drop of gasoline as possible by coasting, reducing excessive acceleration, and monitoring driving habits for ways to trim down fuel usage. Check out this link for more info)

I don't go all out on my commute, but there are a few stretches to and from work where I'm able to coast for almost a mile. I'm eager to see what the MPG ends up being on this tank of gas. Yes, I realize how nerdy this is, but I'm an accountant, I count stuff. What else would you expect?

No comments: